Keeping Safe on Fireworks Night
Even if you’re not hosting a bonfire or fireworks display, there is plenty you can do to help keep children safe at this time of year. Helping parents and children to understand the dangers of fireworks can prevent injuries and in some cases save lives.
General tips on firework safety
Sparklers are not “fireworks lite” A sparkler can reach a temperature of up to 2,000 degrees Celsius – 20 times the boiling point of water. And three sparklers burning together generate the same heat as a blowtorch!
An understanding of child development is useful when explaining what children can and can’t do. For instance, children under five shouldn’t be given sparklers, as they’re too young to hold them safely and don’t understand why they might be dangerous, and toddlers should be steered well clear of bonfires. Older children can be trusted with sparklers, but require supervision, and should be taught to stand at a safe distance from the bonfire.
Firework safety is an area where helping parents to stay safe can be really worthwhile. Teaching parents the basics of firework safety – never return to a lit firework, never throw spent fireworks onto the bonfire, etc – can help keep their children safe too.
Burns first aid can be really useful for parents not just on fireworks night. Understanding how to treat burns while waiting for an ambulance can prevent infection and minimise the severity of injuries.